What is the form I-130 Fee?

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder who wants to establish a valid family relationship with an alien relative, you must start by filing form I-130.

As simple as it sounds, there are many doubts that emerge as you start reading the instructions, like the form I-130 supporting documents you need , or how should you pay and present the form I-130 fee.

This is definitely a delicate topic, that is why we will help you solve your doubts in this article.  


You might be interested in: Requirements for filing Form I-130.

Most common questions about the form I-130 fee

When it comes to money, it's better to have a clear head and know exactly what you're doing so you don't make any mistakes. That's why we've solved some of the most common questions regarding this topic. 

You can simplify this pocess by using our automated softwareSign up 

1. Do I need to pay fee for each family member?

If you are sponsoring more than one family member who qualifies as an “immediate relative” (spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21) you will have to file a separate I-130 petition and pay a filing fee for each family member that you are sponsoring.

On the other hand, if you are a permanent resident sponsoring more than one derivative relative, you are not required to file a separate I-130 petition for each one. A derivative relative would include the children of your foreign spouse.

2. What happens if I pay by check?

When you make a payment by check, USCIS will convert it into an electronic funds transfer. An electronic funds transfer is when they copy your check and use the account information on it to debit the account electronically. This usually takes about 24 hours and you will be able to see it in your bank statement by this time.

They will destroy your original check, but will keep a copy of it. If USCIS cannot process the electronic funds transfer, you just give them permission to process the copy instead of your original check.

There are times where the check is returned as unpayable, so USCIS will submit the payment to the financial institution one more time. If the check is returned as unpayable again, they will reject your petition and charge you a fee for having a returned check.

3- Can I get my money back if my petition is rejected? 

Unfortunately, if you made a mistake in your form or did not meet all the eligibility requirements when filing Form I-130, USCIS will reject your petition and will not return the fees you paid. 

That is why it is so important to keep to make sure everything is right before sending out your documents.

Avoid denial by taking a free eligibility test 

Find out if I'm ready to start the process

Advice to prepare your check or money for the form I-130 fee 

In order to avoid costly mistakes and lost efforts when filing your petition, here is a step by step guide to prepare your check: 

1. The check or money that you’re going to use to pay should always be in US dollars. Make sure the money is located on a bank or other financial institution that is inside the United States.

2. Don’t use initials, spell out “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”. This makes the check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

3. If you live outside the United States, contact the closest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate you have so they can help you with the method of payment.

Always Make sure the Fees Are Correct

Since USCIS fees change periodically, you have to be very careful. Make sure to always check the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov, select “FORMS,” and check the appropriate fee. You can also call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 and ask for the fee information. For deaf or hard of hearing call: 1-800-767-1833.

If you're looking for a way to make this process easier and saving a ton of time, you can sign up in our platform and follow an intuitive and simple process in which you will get the help of an immigration attorney. We use the latest technology to make sure your information is safe. 


Subscribe to our Newsletter

If you need additional information send us a message and we’ll be happy to share our advice!