What do you need to request Initial DACA?

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request cosideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization.

Deferred action is a used of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status. 

Now that we know what DACA is and what it can mean, let's dive into the main question, "Can I be considered for DACA?"


What are the requirements?

  • You came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday. 
  • You have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time. 
  • You were under the age of 31 as ofJune 15, 2012. 
  • You entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your Lawful Immigration Status expired as of June 15, 2012. 
  • You are currently in school; have graduated or obtained your certificate of completion from high school; have obtained your general educational development certification; or you are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States. 
  • You have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat. 
  • You were present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for Consideration of Deferred Action with USCIS. 

For more information on how to properly file for DACA, or if you’d like to confirm you are eligible for DACAcall us at 469-708-5800. All consultations are free for the first thirty minutes. Don’t miss out and call now! 


Subscribe to our Newsletter

If you need additional information send us a message and we’ll be happy to share our advice!